Five Essential Things To Do After a Storm
When major storms hit in Affton, MO it’s important to be ready. Your home and property may be damaged, roads closed, and power out. In the aftermath of such a storm, you may be unsure of where to turn or what to do. Here are five essential storm tips to keep your family safe and minimize additional storm damage.
1. Think safety first. This is by far the most important of all tips: Be safe! Gather family and pets into a room that is safe and dry, somewhere that hasn’t suffered damage to its roof or walls and that isn’t flooded. Don’t touch any electrical items in wet rooms, even fan or light switches. Don’t use candles in case there is a gas leak. Avoid wading in storm water, even if it’s still and only a few inches deep. Use only bottled water for drinking and cooking. Monitor a battery-powered radio for NOAA weather updates.
2. Disable utilities. If you can safely do so, turn off electrical circuits, natural gas lines, and plumbing. Storm damage to water pipes, gas lines, or electrical wires can be dangerous.
3. Prevent further damage. Think about other storm tips and what else you can do to keep the damage from escalating. If you can do so safely, evacuate your family and pets. Tie a tarp over a damaged roof. Remove or bolster a precarious tree limb. Dry and clean affected but salvageable items. Move sensitive items such as electronics and photographs to somewhere safe before moisture can set in.
4. Call a professional. Once everyone is safe, it’s important to begin cleanup and repairs immediately. A restoration professional knows exactly what to do and can help you safely and effectively restore your home.
5. Document the damage. Be sure to photograph the damage before repairs are made. This will be needed to document insurance claims. Call your insurance company to open your claim and ensure you have all the information they need.
Recovering from a major storm in Affton, MO can seem daunting. If you follow these five essential storm tips, you can navigate recovery quickly and confidently.
Visit http://www.SERVPROafftonwebstergroves.com for more information on storm damage.