Preparing a Business for an Upcoming Flood
Flooding caused by a storm or rising water is never welcome, and the damage can be extensive. It is wise to take preventive measures to prepare your business in Affton, MO in case of a natural disaster that may strike your area. The following tips can be very helpful in preparing your business for flood damage or storm damage.
1. Contact your insurance company about obtaining a flood insurance policy. Your business does not have to be located in a flood plain in order for you to qualify for flood insurance coverage. Obtaining this policy well in advance can provide you with peace of mind in case of an incident.
2. Prepare your building for an impending disaster. Walk around your building and consider preventive measures. If your structure has a basement and valuable equipment and furniture are stored in it, consider moving them to a higher level. If you believe a sump pump will be beneficial, purchase one ahead of time.
3. Make backup copies of important documents and store them in a safe location. Any sensitive or necessary documents, such as insurance policies and vendor contact information for example, should be copied and stored away from the business location, in an area that will not be affected by flooding.
4. Create an emergency kit. The kit should contain nonperishable food to last several days, large containers of water, a first-aid kit a battery-powered radio and personal hygiene supplies.
5. Plan an evacuation route. Determine which roads would provide the best route out of the area, as floods may make many local roads impassable.
6. In case of an emergency, prepare to evacuate immediately. If by chance you find yourself caught off-guard and floods are imminent, place sandbags in doors and windows and evacuate immediately. Make sure you have the phone number for a restoration company that can come to your building after the storm and assist with cleanup.
Natural disasters such as flooding can cause catastrophic damage. However, taking preventive measures can give the business owner peace of mind and allow business to return to normal as soon as possible. Visit http://www.SERVPROafftonwebstergroves.com for more information on storm damage.