How To Care for Items Damaged by Water
How To Take Care Of Your Belongings
Accidental water in your home from a broken pipe, stormy weather, or a sewer backup requires you to address both damages to your belongings as well as the physical structure. Acting quickly can help minimize the damage to your goods and bring them back to a pre-damage state. Owning property in Webster Groves, MO requires you to have property insurance to cover any losses due to accidental water in home. A good policy will protect you with coverage that includes professional water restoration services offered by a company that will be experienced in cleaning various items and minimizing additional damage.
Basic Cleaning Care
Here’s what you should know about taking care of your belongings that have been affected by water in a home:
- Use water that is clean and clear to rinse wet items.
- Remove debris and dry soil delicately with a soft brush or dampened cloth.
- Allow documents and paper products to air-dry.
- Air-dry your items indoors as sunshine and heat may lead to additional damage through drying too fast and color fading.
- Use fans, open windows, and dehumidifiers to lower humidity and inhibit the growth of mold.
- Use clear water to rinse items with metallic surfaces, and dry them with a soft, clean cloth.
- Repair broken items after they’ve dried completely.
Professional Water Cleanup and Restoration
When it comes to dealing with water in a home, your best bet is to work with a company that specializes in water cleanup and restoration. The technicians at this company will understand the best way to clean your items, especially heirlooms and other valuables. They can address the damage to your home’s structure with best cleanup practices, including dehumidification and dry cleaning. These water cleanup services will prioritize restoration over replacement which not only lowers the total cost of your water damage claim but also reduces the time it takes to get your home back to pre-damage conditions.