If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (314) 638-7749

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Unoccupied or Vacant Homes Need Additional Insurance

6/9/2020 (Permalink)

Home Destroyed By Fire With Caved In Roof A home fire can be devastating whether it is a full or partial loss

If a home fire happens, people count on their standard homeowner’s insurance policy to cover belongings, the structure, and affected unattached structures. In some cases, it may include temporary housing costs incurred while a fire and smoke damage restoration specialist returns your Crestwood, MO, home back to normal. That policy doesn’t apply if it is arson or a vacant home fire.

When Is Extra Insurance Needed?

If a home has been vacant for 30 days or more, a standard policy likely won’t cover any damage that happens. A vacant home is typically one without any remaining personal property while an unoccupied home still has furniture and utilities turned on. The difference between the two may affect the policy that is needed. Examples of times people should look into getting this additional layer of insurance include:

  • The property is a vacation home only used a few times each year.
  • A new home has been purchased, but you are unable to move into it for more than 30 days.
  • Constant travel keeps you away weeks at a time.
  • Renovations are remodeling are being done, leaving the home temporarily vacant.
  • It is used as a rental and doesn’t have a current tenant.

Why Is It Needed?
An empty home increases the risk potential. If a home fire or vandalism occurs, it usually results in slower emergency response and an enhanced probability of a break-in because no one is inhabiting the property. Without the extra coverage, the homeowner will be required to pay for damages or losses out of pocket. This insurance provides peace of mind that your property is covered, even if you aren’t using it. The insurance is available as a separate policy or endorsement. It’s recommended to work with your insurer to determine the best option for your situation.
A home fire can be devastating whether it is a full or partial loss. Even if you aren’t using a property, ensure you have the coverage you need.

Other News

View Recent Posts