Contents Cleanup After a Flood
A flood in your Affton, MO, home can catch you by surprise and create an awful situation. If the waters entered from outside, you've probably been exposed to black water, which can harbor harmful bacteria and viruses. A professional storm restoration company can help you quickly get things back to normal. In addition to removing all the water and restoring the structure itself, restoration professionals can initiate a thorough content cleaning process using the procedures outlined below.
1. Item Removal
If the home is heavily flooded and requires extensive work, the restoration company should move everything out of the home in an efficient manner. This makes for a much quicker restoration process and protects your items from further harm.
2. Cleaning Process
This can be accomplished using several specialized methods, including:
- Immersion – Contents are cleaned by dipping them into a specially-formulated cleaning product.
- Foams – If the surface, such as upholstery, is in danger of bleeding or shrinking, specialized foam cleaners are used.
- Abrasives – The surface of the item is cleaned using agitation.
- Dry Cleaning – This is used to removed residues before deeper cleaning.
- Wiping and Spaying – Content cleaning for more delicate items that can't stand up to heavy cleaning.
- Wet Cleaning – This is most efficient for surfaces that are moderately to heavily soiled.
Never try to use or clean up electronic appliances such as TVs, computers or DVD players on your own, as they can be very dangerous if they've been damaged by water. Restoration professionals are specially trained to assess damage to these devices and can prepare them for inspection by a qualified electronics technician.
4. Photos and Documents
When documents or photographs are damaged, special steps can be taken to either restore them or minimize the harm already done. Depending on the severity of the damage, several techniques may be employed to clean and disinfect, including dehumidifying, freeze drying, thermal drying and air drying.
A qualified restoration company should be able to accomplish a complete content cleaning after a flood, making sure that as much of your property as possible is saved and that your life can get back to normal as soon as possible.