Consider Using These Alternatives to Candles
Did you know that candles cause 2 percent of reported home fires? Before you light a candle in your Affton, MO home, you may want to consider using one of these candle alternatives instead. Many of the substitutes leave you with a reduced chance of starting a fire. If a fire does take place in your house, be sure to call a residential fire cleanup team as soon as you can.
• Candle Warmers: A candle warmer uses heat from an electronic or battery-operated base to melt the wax and release the intoxicating scent. This alternative allows you to use the candles you already own without the flame.
• Air Fresheners: If you use these home fragrance products to make your house smell better, you can turn to air fresheners instead. Whether you plug one in or use a gel variety, you can get a great smell without any fire.
• Battery-Operated Candles: Flameless candles offer the flicker you love without the potential danger. You can buy tealights that look like small candles or luminaires that also produce a scent.
• Light Strings: You may think light strings are only suitable for the holidays, but you can use this enchanting string to add ambiance to your space. Candle alternatives in this category may even allow you to use a timer so the product doesn't overheat.
• Diffusers: Essential oil and reed diffusers can be used to release scent into your home. These products help reduce the risk of candle fire because flames aren't used. Reed diffusers don't even require any type of heat or electricity source, which is an added bonus.
Whether you love the light or fragrance produced by candles, there are candle alternatives that are right for you. Homeowners everywhere can find a wide range of products that can either add ambiance, produce a flicker or improve the aroma, which makes the flame of a candle obsolete. Visit http://www.SERVPROafftonwebstergroves.com for more information on fire damage.
Keeping the Office Bathroom Clean of Mildew and Mold
Fungi love bathrooms because certain areas get constant moisture, allowing them to thrive. You might see black mold or a cloudy white film of mildew to clean in areas that stay wet, such as your plumbing fixtures. Follow these steps to keep your office bathroom clean of mildew and mold.
Getting Mildew and Mold Out
Experts recommend a good scrub to get your bathroom in shape. Direct your cleaning crew to take the following steps or do them yourself:
· Protect your hands with rubber gloves.
· Wet a microfiber cloth with closed-loop mesh and scrub at the affected areas.
· Use a tile brush or toothbrush with tough bristles for small areas.
· If plain water doesn’t work, try spraying a solution of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide and letting it sit for 10 minutes before washing it off.
· If you have really tough mildew to clean, use a solution of half a cup of bleach and one gallon of water to scrub the area and wipe it with a clean rag.
For areas that don’t respond to any of these treatments, replace grout or caulking with materials that are resistant to bathroom mold and mildew.
Keeping Mildew and Mold Out
The best way to keep the bathroom clean of mildew and mold on a daily basis is by allowing air to circulate. You can do that in a few ways:
· If there’s a window in the bathroom, keep it open throughout the workday.
· Install an exhaust fan or ventilation fan.
· If you don’t have a window or built-in fan, use a dehumidifier or portable fan.
You should also check regularly for leaks underneath faucets and toilets. Make sure you fix these quickly to avoid mold buildup.
Finally, it’s a good idea to clean the bathroom once a week. Use bleach or bathroom cleaning products that contain bleach for best results.
Preventing the buildup of mildew to clean is as important in the workplace as it is in the home. However, if bathroom mold is out of control in your Affton, MO office, call a reputable mold removal company to help you get rid of it. Visit http://www.SERVPROafftonwebstergroves.com for more information on mold.
When Plunging Fails, Call In the Snake
Clogged drains can put a real damper on your bathroom routine in Affton, MO. Removing residue that accumulates near the surface of the pipe or plunging shallow obstructions can clear most drains; however, some blockage may require more intensive intervention. Most experts recommend using a coil snake to dislodge hard-to-reach buildup. If you’ve never used a coil snake before to unclog a drain, fear not; the process is relatively simple and straightforward.
1. Uncoil your newly purchased snake. Then feed the head of the cord down the clogged drainpipe. You may encounter resistance when the snake reaches the pipe’s curve.
2. Continue to crank the snake’s handle. Do this until you hit the solid obstruction causing the stoppage. You will know that you have hit the blockage when you can push no further.
3. Grind the head of the snake into the obstruction by rotating the snake handle. This should break up the debris that has stopped up the drain, or the head should grab onto any object blocking the way.
4. Remove the snake from the drainpipe. Now run your faucet at full force to clear any residual residue that may be lingering. After a few minutes, the sink should drain freely. If you notice any backup, try inserting the snake again and attempt to remove any remaining buildup.
Coil snakes are cost effective and easy to use, and they can be reused again and again. In cases where plunging and snaking fail to resolve a drainage issue, a more serious complication such as a pipe break may be the problem.
Don’t let your clogged drain in Affton, MO ruin your routine. By investing in a cost-effective home snake, you can easily unclog any stoppage that your sink strainer or plunger is unable to tackle. Take the plunge (pun intended), visit your local hardware store, and invest in your home snake today. Visit http://www.SERVPROafftonwebstergroves.com for more information on water damage.
Category 3 Water Does Not Mean the End of Your Business
Give SERVPRO a call if you experience water damage.
Category 3 is the most severe type of water damage a business can suffer in Affton, MO. This water is heavily contaminated by harmful pathogens and toxins. Flood water and toilet overflow are major threats but can be mitigated with proper procedure. Knowing what that procedure is helps you understand what services you should receive.
Cleaning Up the Mess
Black water damage is so serious that it is necessary to consult a trained water recovery specialist. These professionals follow a typical procedure with industry-grade tools:
1. The restoration service evaluates the situation for safety concerns.
2. The water source is identified and remedied if possible.
3. Water is extracted from the carpet and hard surfaces.
4. A biocide is applied to kill dangerous microorganisms.
5. Affected carpet and porous building materials are removed and thrown away.
6. Drying perimeters are established.
7. Air blowers are placed and turned on.
8. The progress is monitored over time while drying.
9. New carpet is installed after the drying is complete.
10. Missing building materials are replaced.
11. A final sanitization and cleaning finishes the procedure before restoration.
Types of Category 3 Water
Category 3 water is extremely unsanitary, with many lurking contaminants. Flood water brings a multitude of impurities from the unclean water source and surrounding areas.
Though a more contained situation than a flood, flooded toilets or sewage line leaks can shut off only a part of your business with black water. The danger of viruses and bacteria is still serious, so these contaminated areas should be avoided without safety equipment.
Be Free of Category 3
The damage can get worse as flood water or sewage lingers. The building’s structure faces more erosion, and more microbes and pathogens grow and multiply as time goes on. However, with fast treatment, the damage to your commercial real estate can be mitigated and restored to a functional state. Visit http://www.SERVPROafftonwebstergroves.com for more information on commercial water damage.
Preparing a Business for an Upcoming Flood
Give SERVPRO a call if you experience storm damage.
Flooding caused by a storm or rising water is never welcome, and the damage can be extensive. It is wise to take preventive measures to prepare your business in Affton, MO in case of a natural disaster that may strike your area. The following tips can be very helpful in preparing your business for flood damage or storm damage.
1. Contact your insurance company about obtaining a flood insurance policy. Your business does not have to be located in a flood plain in order for you to qualify for flood insurance coverage. Obtaining this policy well in advance can provide you with peace of mind in case of an incident.
2. Prepare your building for an impending disaster. Walk around your building and consider preventive measures. If your structure has a basement and valuable equipment and furniture are stored in it, consider moving them to a higher level. If you believe a sump pump will be beneficial, purchase one ahead of time.
3. Make backup copies of important documents and store them in a safe location. Any sensitive or necessary documents, such as insurance policies and vendor contact information for example, should be copied and stored away from the business location, in an area that will not be affected by flooding.
4. Create an emergency kit. The kit should contain nonperishable food to last several days, large containers of water, a first-aid kit a battery-powered radio and personal hygiene supplies.
5. Plan an evacuation route. Determine which roads would provide the best route out of the area, as floods may make many local roads impassable.
6. In case of an emergency, prepare to evacuate immediately. If by chance you find yourself caught off-guard and floods are imminent, place sandbags in doors and windows and evacuate immediately. Make sure you have the phone number for a restoration company that can come to your building after the storm and assist with cleanup.
Natural disasters such as flooding can cause catastrophic damage. However, taking preventive measures can give the business owner peace of mind and allow business to return to normal as soon as possible. Visit http://www.SERVPROafftonwebstergroves.com for more information on storm damage.
Affton Fire Damage - Handling Smoke Damage after a Fire
A home fire can also leave smoke damage that will need to be cleaned too.
The smoke that lingers after a fire has been put out can be more damaging than you might think. The problem that many homeowners have is that they don't think a fire or smoke damage could ever happen to them. The reality is that home fires are incredibly common, ranging from the very minor to the more major. Despite the fact that a minor fire may not cause a lot of fire damage in Affton, it can still cause smoke damage that is difficult to clean and dangerous to be living around.
Smoke damage that is a direct result of fire damage should ideally be cleaned by experts. Experts know how to get rid of smoke damage that might be present in the home after it has been ravished by flames. You should always look to hire a licensed and highly experienced professional who has extensive experience dealing with fire damage. The professionals will often start by evaluating the overall extent of the fire damage and smoke damage that is present in the home, and then they will go over prices and costs of fire damage remediation for you to get the issue cleaned up by their company.
There are a lot of reasons why handling smoke damage after a fire should be done by experts and as quickly as possible. The smoke that you find after a fire often contains ash, soot and sometimes even carbons and tar that might have come off of the flames. Also, carbon monoxide is incredibly common after fire damage has been exhibited. Carbon monoxide is one of the most dangerous things because it is odorless and cannot be seen or tasted. Therefore, you may not even know that you are surrounded by carbon monoxide until it has been properly tested. An expert fire damage restoration company will normally test for carbon monoxide levels in a home that has dealt with a fire.
Smoke damage can also be aesthetically damaging. Furniture, walls, ceilings and practically anything in your home can become black or gray from the smoke that has come off from a fire. Many things will need to be professionally cleaned, while other things might have to be fully removed from the home in order to get rid of the problem. Your remediation company will be the one who tells you what can and cannot be saved after you have dealt with massive smoke damage in your own home.
Fires are very common, and even the most minor fire can cause a lot of smoke damage. In fact, some homeowners who have simple fireplaces that are not well-vented could deal with smoke damage without a fire ever being an issue for the home itself. Handling the damage on your own should be avoided simply because of all of the expertise that needs to go into cleaning the mess. Also, you need to have a professional test the home or room for carbon monoxide to ensure that it is going to be safe for you or for them to go in there to clean.
SERVPRO of Affton/Webster Groves is locally owned and operated and serves Affton, Webster Groves, Crestwood, Shrewsberry, St. Louis, and the surrounding communities
SERVPRO of Affton/Webster Groves’ fully certified water removal staff can perform a complete damage assessment to your home of office, and then recommend and follow the industries standards to get your water removal restoration repaired properly available 24 hours a day
SERVPRO of Affton/Webster Groves is a 24/7 emergency water removal & flood clean up repair service company, Our technicians are highly trained and experienced with every water damage situation from sewage damage clean up to mold removal.
Other Interesting Articles
Water Damage Affton - What you need to know to protect your home and loved ones
Residential St Louis water damage can be difficult to clean up
Prepare Your Affton/Webster Home for Winter Weather
Crestwood Mold Remediation
In order to even begin removing a large infestation, the entire affected area must be covered so that even microscopic spores can't escape.
Many people are familiar with the damp, musty odor that often lingers within old public spaces like libraries, universities, and government buildings. All too frequently, this common symptom of a potential health hazard is completely disregarded. This particular scent is typically attributed to old books, dust, or poor ventilation, but can also be a sign of a mold infestation within a structure or its heating and air conditioning systems. When mold damage Crestwood is able to invade a building, its inhabitants and sensitive materials face significant risk if it doesn't undergo immediate remediation.
When Mold Remediation is Necessary
After a fire, floor, or less noticeable incidents such as roof or pipe leaks, homes and public buildings are at risk of developing mold, which thrives in damp environments. Once an infestation begins, mold spores continue to grow and breed until the building is made toxic by their presence. Severe infestations are too great for conventional removal methods and require a specialized process called mold remediation.
Crestwood mold remediation is used to remove any growth measuring larger than ten square feet. Due to the size of the infestation, specialized tools and techniques are required to treat the contamination delicately, without exacerbating the situation.
The Process of Mold Remediation
Experienced St. Louis professionals with the proper breathing apparatuses, industrial chemicals, and containment tools are the only individuals who should attempt mold remediation.
In order to even begin removing a large infestation, the entire affected area must be covered so that even microscopic spores can't escape. Then, by way of a wet vacuum, industrial strength cleansers, and an additional HEPA filtered vacuum, a professional remediation specialist is able to clean the area. In most cases, that same specialist will be able to determine and fix the original source of the invasion, though roof leaks or plumbing problems may require additional help.
Recovering From the Damage
Severe mold infestations can have lasting consequences in regards to both the people and objects affected by the spores. It is always best to be proactive rather than reactive, but in the unfortunate event of a significant infestation, after the remediation process is complete a specialist will be able to tell what can be salvaged and what must be disposed of. Mold can be disastrous in certain environments, especially ones with a high volume of sensitive materials like books and documents. For this reason, government buildings and libraries must be particularly vigilant.
Three Fire Cleanup Steps: Assess, Dry, Restore
Give SERVPRO a call after commercial fire damage.
Living through a commercial fire may certainly damage your spirit. Nevertheless, swift action is key to recovery. Even though the fire danger has passed, the damage to your items may not have. You’ll want to take the necessary steps to minimize the loss of your valuables and place yourself on track for healing by following a few simple steps. Fire damage is at the forefront, of course. However, as firefighters use a powerful fire hose to extinguish flames, there may be water damage as well.
1. The first step in salvage after a fire is assessing the property. Retrieve insurance documents and all needed paperwork from your insurance company. Evaluate the safety of your business, alongside an expert from a reputable fire restoration company in Affton, MO. Do not attempt to move items or access any unsafe areas of your establishment. Take inventory of your destroyed or damaged items.
2. To prevent the growth of mold, begin the drying out phase. A licensed and insured restoration company in Affton, MO should have specialized tools to remove the excess water and minimize water damage. As different items tolerate varying amounts of water, there are several unique categories of wet cleaning. The most appropriate and safe one should be chosen for each item.
3. After water cleanup has been completed, full restoration can continue. Smaller items suffering from fire damage may have been removed from your business earlier to start this repair process. At this stage, your chosen restoration company should implement full site cleanup of the soot and odor. If you’re able to observe some of the restoration work without being an obstacle, you may simply find it amazing.
Following these three basic steps of cleanup will help guide you through a smoother transition after a commercial fire. With the right experts at your side, your fire damage worries may be minimized and your commercial site restored sooner than you think. Visit http://www.SERVPROafftonwebstergroves.com for more information on commercial fire damage.
Recovering Your Personal Possessions From Mold Damage
Give SERVPRO a call if you notice mold growing in your home.
If you’ve found mold creeping on your personal belongings, you may have no choice but to throw them out. Keeping even one mold-infested object can lead to a full-on outbreak that can contaminate other areas of your house. If your belongings are mold-contaminated, consider eliminating them from your Affton, MO home. However, if these objects have sentimental value, there may be ways to salvage them with mold cleaning.
Ways To Recover Mold-Damaged Belongings
Mold cleaning is something that shouldn’t be undertaken lightly, and if your belongings don’t have a smooth surface that can be easily wiped clean, you would be better off trusting a mold remediation specialist. Here are your options for recovering items plagued with mold damage:
• Gently wipe with detergent and water. Smooth surfaces such as plastic and non-engraved metal may respond to a cloth soaped in detergent and water, as long as there are no grooves, designs, or anything else that might capture mold or make the surface porous. If the item does not respond to gentle wiping, leave it alone and either dispose of it or hire a professional. More vigorous scrubbing may release spores into the air.
• Hire a specialist. Mold remediation specialists often have customized devices that can recover clothing, leathers, and paintings in particular – such as an Esporta machine. These specialists are also trained to safely handle mold-damaged items without risking further damaging them with corrosive chemicals or rough handling.
Always Focus on a Mold-Free Home
While it may seem like there are limited options for mold cleaning, one of the best ways to avoid this entirely is to keep a mold-free home. Always conduct periodic home inspections and cleanings to ensure there are no opportunities for mold to take root. You can preserve your belongings by keeping them dry and storing them in a cool, well-lit place where mold is less likely to proliferate. Visit http://www.SERVPROafftonwebstergroves.com for more information on mold.
Here Is What You Should Do With Your Electronics After a Fire
Give SERVPRO a call after fire damage.
One devastating side effect of a fire could be the loss of your possessions. As you try to navigate what the smoke damage might have done to your home in Affton, MO it is often difficult to tell if your electronics, which might look like they survived unscathed, are ready to be used in the aftermath. A fire cleanup service is extremely important. Let professionals guide you to make sure you can avoid another disaster and save as many of your possessions as possible.
1. Make Sure They’re Unplugged
After making absolutely certain you’re safe and it’s okay to do, unplug your appliances. You don’t want to accidentally turn them on, because this might cause a short circuit and it might lead to damage even fire cleanup professionals can’t help with.
2. Don’t Turn Them On
It can be tempting to turn on your electronics after a fire, especially if you use them to connect with friends or family. Turning them on before getting them professionally cleaned by a qualified technician is a bad idea, however, since they might have smoke residue. This, in turn, might cause damage to the device. It might also be hazardous to you.
3. Wipe Them Off
You should never handle electronics that are turned on or plugged in after a fire. If you can make sure your electronics are completely off and unplugged, however, it might be a wise idea to wipe them off with a clean cloth. The sooner you do this, the more likely a device is to survive.
4. Look for Your Warranty Records
Sometimes, it’s impossible for your electronics to recover after a fire. However, your electronics may be covered by their warranty.
Once you’re done, remember to call a professional fire cleanup service. Its agents are there to help your electronics recover from smoke damage and to make the transition back into normal life a little easier for you. Visit http://www.SERVPROafftonwebstergroves.com for more information on fire damage.